Department of Public Works
Edward C. Adams Jr., Director
County Office Building
111 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 307
Towson, Maryland 21204
- Flood Insurance Map Information
- Basic Services Maps and Master Plan Amendments - View the reports and maps on sewerage, water supply and transportation.
- Water and Sewer Availability
- Metropolitan District Financing and Petitions
Computes, processes and bills Metropolitan charges such as water and sewer benefit, sewer services, water distribution charges, etc.
- Utilities: Sewer Emergencies - call 410-887-7415.
- Maintains and repairs sanitary sewer pipeline; sewage pumping stations
- Permitting and monitoring of industrial and commercial wastewater discharge
- Highways and Equipment Maintenance
- Performs snow removal
- Coordinates Emergency Management and Homeland Security with other agencies
- Manages the Safety and Training program
- Provides county equipment maintenance and repair
- Provides maintenance and repair of large trucks, heavy equipment, fire apparatus, and other equipment
- Roadside mowing and tree maintenance
- Storm debris removal
- Road resurfacing
- Pot hole repair
- Street sweeping
- Driveway access and concrete replacement
- Curb, gutter and sidewalk repair and replacement
- Solid Waste Management
- Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning
- Installs and maintains traffic signals; traffic signs; traffic calming program
- Ensures safe and efficient operation of County's highway system
- Plans for anticipated transportation needs
- Engineering and Construction
- Designs County infrastructure
- Administers prequalification and selection of engineers and contractors; bridge inspections
- Administers construction contract bidding, processing and inspection for:
- public roads
- water lines
- storm drains
- shoreline protection
- dredging and parks
- property surveys
- City/County project coordination
Other Items of Interest
- Bridge and Road Closures - View information on roads closed due to bridge repair or replacement.
- Engineering Projects - View a list of current engineering projects.
- Water Issues - Find out who to call for water main breaks, information on water bills, water saving tips, fire hydrants, etc.
- Road map to Public Works (PDF) - Get additional help searching for who does what in Public Works.
- Directory of Services - An alphabetical listing of county services
- Consent Decree (PDF) - Sanitary Sewer System - Brought forth by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) against Baltimore County, after three years of negotiations has an effective "Date of Entry" of September 20, 2005. The Consent Decree outlines the agreed upon work (capital, equipment and operations improvements over the next 14 years) with deadlines necessary for compliance with the Clean Water Act and the Maryland water pollution control laws with the goal of eliminating sanitary sewer overflows. Consent Decree Appendix (PDF)
Revised December 10, 2013