Bureau of Highways
111 W. Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
The Bureau of Highways provides a broad range of services:
- Repairs, maintains, reconstructs and improves more than 2,600 miles of the County road system, including travel lanes, roadside shoulders, ditches, appurtenance paving, curbs and gutter, sidewalks, alleys and guard rails.
- Coordinates the department's Emergency Management and Homeland Security with other agencies
- Handles the Safety and Training program, which includes:
- First Aid
- Highways and Utilities Technician program
- Emergency bridge repair on over 400 major bridge structures.
- Maintenance and repair of open drainage systems in Baltimore County including stream channels, culverts, flumes, catch basins, and ditches.
- Removal of storm debris.
- Emergency and special services in the areas of snow and ice control or de-icing, flooding, tornadoes, and other natural disasters, and assisting in civil emergencies.
- Roadside mowing and brush control.
- Tree and stump removal, elevation of lower branches for sight distance, and removal of deadwood in live trees within the County's right-of-way.
- Street sweeping to keep debris out of the storm drains and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Provides preventative maintenance and repair services for the County's fleet of Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) apparatus, trucks, heavy equipment , generators and small engine equipment.
Subscribe to the County's E-Newsletter to receive information about major projects in your council district, such as road closures, bridge repairs, water or sewer line repairs or installations, etc.
Revised November 27, 2012