Skip Navigation

Water Frequently Asked Questions

Q. My water is discolored. Why is this happening and who should I call?

A. All water mains installed prior to 1957 are unlined cast iron pipe. Through the years corrosion has accumulated within the pipe which breaks loose from time to time during heavy water usage conditions. If discoloration occurs at the house the homeowner should run the water for approximately one hour to clear the line between the meter and the house. If this is unsuccessful, the Water Maintenance Division in Baltimore City should be contacted at 410-396-5352. They will come to the area and flush the discolored water from the public mains under the street.

Back to top

Q. Who should I call about my water bill or water service?

A. Call the Water Billing Section in Baltimore City at 410-396-5398.

Back to top

Q. Who should I call to report a broken water main?

A. Call 311 (if you live in Baltimore City) or call the Baltimore City Water Maintenance Division at 410-396-5352.

Back to top

Q. How do I find out if public water is available to my property? How can I get connected?

 A. To find out about water availability, call Metropolitan District Financing and Petitions at 410-887-2423. There are several ways to get public water:

Back to top

Q. My basement floods from water or sewage backing up, who can help?

 A. Maintenance of the underground utilities owned by Baltimore County is provided by the Bureau of Utilities. To contact them between 6:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. call 410-887-7415. To contact them between 4 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. call 410-887-5210. If you are reporting a water main break, you need to call Baltimore City at 410-396-5352.

Back to top

Q. How can I have the water service account put in our name at our new home?

A. Contact Baltimore City at 410-396-5533.

Back to top

Q. Who do I call to use a fire hydrant?

A. To use a fire hydrant to fill swimming pools, irrigate landscaping, or wash down construction sites, you must obtain a permit (PDF). There is a standard procedure to maintain the permit and a fee is charged by the County. For more information, you may contact the Bureau of Utilities at 410-887-1885.

Back to top

Revised September 8, 2015


Revised April 6, 2016        

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*