Engineering and Construction Overview
111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room 219
Towson, Maryland 21204
Engineering and Construction houses the following programs:
- Administration – handles various support services for the Bureau. Includes the Professional Services Selection Committee (PSSC) which handles prequalification for engineering firms and contractors, and the selection of consultants, engineers and contractors.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) – provides Department of Public Works facilities mapping and digital data availability to consultants.
- Design – handles design of the Baltimore County public infrastructure (roads, bridges, water, sewer, storm drains).
- Engineering Records – responsible for housing and producing copies of construction drawings.
- Land Surveys – provides mapping, property work, stakeout, utility recovery, right-of-way and easement delineation to various County agencies.
- Construction Contracts Administration – provides engineering and construction administration services for County infrastructure, acting as owner and guardian during construction for all new and rehabilitation contracts including sanitary sewers, water mains, roads, bridges and storm drains. They also inspect and manage the construction of public buildings throughout the County.
Other Items of Interest
Find information on:
- Current Engineering Projects
- Rural Roads – what they are and related projects
- Road Closures due to repairs, maintenance, flooding or emergencies
- The Design Manual (Resolution 63-10), adopted by the County Council on August 2, 2010
Subscribe to the Community Updates e-newsletter to receive information about your district.
The Consent Decree (PDF) on the Sanitary Sewer System was brought forth by the Environmental Protection Agency and Maryland Department of the Environment against Baltimore County. After three years of negotiations, it had an effective Date of Entry of September 20, 2005.
The Consent Decree outlines the agreed upon work – capital, equipment and operations improvements over the next 14 years – with deadlines necessary for compliance with the Clean Water Act and the Maryland water pollution control laws with the goal of eliminating sanitary sewer overflows. View the Consent Decree Appendix (PDF).
Request for Written Comments
As required by the County’s Consent Decree, the County is in the process of constructing a relief sewer through a portion of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources property in the Patapsco area.
DPW Job Order Number: 201-0077-7138
Project Name: Patapsco Meter Basin 33 Relief Sewer
Project Address or Location: Pickall Area, Patapsco Valley State Park, Patapsco River Watershed.
Issue Date: May 3, 2016
Comments Due Date: June 3, 2016
To obtain approval of the Forest Conservation Plan that was prepared and reviewed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for the relief sewer, we are required by DNR “….to place a 30-day public notice of an opportunity to submit written comments or to request a public hearing with regards to the submitted plan as outlined in COMAR 08.19.04.11.”
DNR has granted us approval to post the public notice (PDF). Comments are due no later than Wednesday, June 3, 2016 as outlined on the notice.
Revised May 3, 2016