This newly redesigned course will certify you in the use of radar (moving and stationary) and lidar for use in speed detection. You will learn the different scientific principles behind these devices and their proper application within the overall speed enforcement program.
In addition, we will cover the various aspects of equipment use such as testing and verification protocols, case law, health issues and many other operational considerations.
- Scientific principles of radar-lidar operation
- History of radar-lidar
- Enforcement techniques
- The driving continuum and the need for traffic enforcement
- Operational considerations and officer safety
- Case law and administrative rules
- Courtroom presentation techniques
- June 12 through 14
- October 10 through 12
- November 14 through 16
The last day of the school involves operational scenarios under the direction of the instructors. To that end, students must bring their respective precincts’ radar and lidar devices and cars to which they are assigned. They must also be in uniform, with all equipment that is needed to act in an enforcement capacity.