LIDAR Operator Course
This course will certify the student in the use of the LIDAR instrument in speed detection. The student will learn the different scientific principles behind these devices and their proper application within the overall speed enforcement program.
In addition, the various aspects of equipment use such as testing and verification protocols, case law, health issues and many other operational considerations will be covered.
- Scientific principles of LIDAR operation
- History and types of laser devices
- Enforcement techniques
- The driving continuum and the need for traffic enforcement
- Operational considerations and officer safety
- Case law and administrative rules
- Courtroom presentation techniques
Requirements For Attendance:
Outside jurisdictions should contact their department's training coordinator to arrange for seats in the class, pending the approval by their Department. Officers selected for this class need to bring note-taking materials for the classroom phase of this training as well as their precinct's,station's or department's LIDAR units for the practical exercises.
Revised February 25, 2015