Police Department
Print this page.

Identity Theft: What To Do If You Become A Victim

Take These Steps

  • Set up a folder to keep a detailed history of this crime.

  • Keep a log of any contacts you make and make copies of all documents.

  • Contact all creditors by phone and in writing to inform them of the problems.

  • Notify the U.S. Postal Inspector if your mail has been stolen or tampered with:

  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission to report the problem. The FTC is the federal clearinghouse for complaints by victims of identity theft. The FTC help victims by providing information to help resolve financial and other problems that could result from identity theft. Their hotline telephone number is 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338).

Credit Bureaus

Call each of the three credit bureaus'  fraud units to report the identity theft. Ask to have a "Fraud Alert/Victim Impact" statement placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new account.

Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.

PO Box 740241, Atlanta, Georgia 30374

  • To order report, call 1-800-685-1111
  • To report Fraud, call 1-888-766-0008

601 Experian Parkway, Allen Texas 75013

  • To order report, call 1-888-397-3742
  • To report Fraud, call 1-888-397-3742

Trans Union
PO Box 390, Springfield, Pennsylvania 19064

  • To order report, call 1-800-888-4213
  • To report fraud, call 1-800-680-7289

Alert your banks to flag your account and contact you to confirm any unusual activity.  

Request a change of PIN and a new password.

If you have any checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently report it to the following companies:

  • National Check Fraud Service 1-843-571-2143

  • SCAN 1-800-262-7771

  • TeleCheck 1-800-710-9898 or 1-800-927-0188

  • CheckRite 1-800-766-2748

  • CrossCheck 1-707-586-0551

  • International Check Services 1-800-526-5380

  • Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271.
  • Contact the state Motor Vehicle Administration to see if another license was issued in your name. If so, request a new license number and fill out the MVA complaint form to begin the fraud investigation process.

Obtain description of suspect (if known).

Obtain witness information.

What is the financial loss to you? Attach all supporting documentation.

Revised October 28, 2012

Was This Page Helpful?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*