Youth Leadership Academy
The program strives to encourage young people to understand their role in our communities and society by taking part in youth programs offered by the Police Department, such as the Law Enforcement Explorers and the Police Cadet Program. The Youth Leadership Academy was developed to provide young people ages 14 through 18 with an opportunity to learn about:
- Selected police units
- Leadership and decision-making skills
- Teamwork and communication
- The benefits of public service
- Fostering positive relationships with law enforcement officers
- The challenges and demands associated with the law enforcement profession
- The role of the individual in shaping his or her own future by making good choices
- Practical application that demonstrates the aspects of the police officer’s job
The Youth Leadership Academy is a week-long program held annually in June. The program runs Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. A graduation ceremony is held on Saturday, starting at 10 a.m.
- Probable Cause and Arrest, Role Playing
- CSI, Forensics and Forensic Art
- Hazardous Devices Team
- Gun Violence and Youth
- Impact of Drug and Substance Abuse
- Impacts of Social Media
- Accident Investigation
- Traffic Stops and Enforcement
- Marine, Aviation, Tactical and K-9
- Team Building Course
- Physical Training
- School Resource Officer Program
- Explorer and Cadet Programs
Students who wish to apply must meet the following requirements:
- Residents of Baltimore County
- Between 14 and 18 years of age
- In good academic standing
- Complete the application process
- Pass a background check
The Youth Leadership Academy Application Form (PDF) is a two-page document that has been designed for completion and electronic submission. The second page provides space for the student to submit a mandatory essay about themselves and why they would like to participate in the program. The Form will automatically be sent to a pre-designated email account for the Youth Leadership Academy. Upon bringing up the Form:
- Use the Tab key to go from one field to the next.
- Boxes outlined in red are mandatory fields.
- Please complete all information as requested.
- A signature is not required if this Form is being sent electronically.
- Fill in the date the application is being submitted as enrollment is limited.
- When complete, select “Submit via email” for electronic submission.
- The “Print Form” function will allow you to print a copy of your Application Form for your records.
TheYouth Leadership Academy Waiver Form (PDF) must be completed and signed by the applicant and their parent or guardian. If the applicant is 18 years of age, the parent or guardian signature is optional. The Waiver Form must be returned to the address or email listed on the Application Form.
For more information on the program or questions regarding the completion of the Form, call the Youth Initiatives Team at 410-887-2587. Students may also contact their School Resource Officer (SRO) for information and assistance.
Revised January 9, 2014