Publications and Maps
Listed below are different methods in which the maps and GIS data can be accessed:
PDF Map Library
View and download important Planning related maps in the PDF Map Library.
Online Interactive Map
- The Bicycle Facilities Map allows bicyclists to find more information about existing, planned and future bicycle improvements.
- Explore the Baltimore County Historic Preservation Map to locate historic structures, County historic districts and more.
- The My Neighborhood interactive mapping tool depicts zoning, historic districts, bikeways, commercial revitalization areas and land development for Baltimore County.
Get GIS Data
Baltimore County provides access to GIS data and maps through the Office of Information Technology GIS Portal and FTP site.
Publications and Research
Find publications and research reports for:
- Commission on Disabilities
- Historic Preservation
- Development Regulations and Guidelines
- Demographic Trends and Characteristics
- A Citizen's Guide to Planning and Zoning—A guide created to assist in developing a basic understanding of the various processes and documents related to zoning.
- 2016 CZMP Countywide Log of Issues—A log of zoning requests and actions taken during the 2016 Comprehensive Zoning Map Process.
- Five Year Consolidated Plan FY 2017 through 2021 (PDF)—This plan outlines a five-year strategy that proposes how the County will use local, state and federal resources, as well as funds from the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG), the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME), and the Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG), to create decent housing, expand economic opportunity, and ensure a suitable living environment for low- to moderate-income persons and communities.
- Five Year Consolidated Plan FY 2012 through 2016 (PDF)—This plan outlines a five-year strategy that proposes how the County will use local, state, and federal resources, as well as funds from the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG), the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME), and the Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG), to create decent housing, expand economic opportunity, and ensure a suitable living environment for low- to moderate-income persons and communities.
- Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan (PDF)—A plan for furthering fair housing through affirmative fair housing marketing. This plan promotes a condition in which individuals in the same housing market areas have available to them a like range of choices in housing, regardless of the individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familiar status, or disability.
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choices—Baltimore County (PDF)—A report released by the Baltimore Regional Fair Housing Group that shows an analysis of impediments to fair housing choice for Baltimore County.
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choices—Baltimore Metropolitan Region (PDF)—A report released by the Baltimore Regional Fair Housing Group that shows an analysis of impediments to fair housing choice for the Baltimore Metropolitan region.
- A Guidebook for Developers Requesting Development Financing and Assistance (PDF)—A set of standards and criteria that will guide how affordable housing projects will be built in Baltimore County.
- Language Access Plan For Limited English Proficiency (PDF)—The purpose of this Language Access Plan (LAP Plan) is to provide assurances and demonstrate that clients of Baltimore County Department of Planning are being provided meaningful access to program information, benefits and services although the customers may be limited in their ability to speak, read, write or understand English.
- Resource Guide for Individuals with Disabilities (PDF)—A guide of resources in Baltimore County for individuals with disabilities.
- Baltimore County Commission on Disabilities Overview (PDF)—An overview of the Commission on Disabilities who provide support and advocacy for citizen's of Baltimore County with disabilities.
- Baltimore County Transportation Resources and Services for People with Disabilities (PDF)—This resource provides easy-to-use information for individuals with special mobility needs, their caregivers and other interested individuals.
- Disability Etiquette Handbook (PDF)—A handbook prepared to increase awareness of appropriate ways to address and refer to individuals with disabilities.
- Welcoming Residents with Disabilities—A Sensitivity and Awareness Guide for Property Managers and Landlords (PDF)—This guide provides information and assistance to landlords and property managers, in communicating and interacting with individuals with disabilities in the provision of equal opportunity and enjoyment of the use of a dwelling, and to increase their sensitivity to such individuals.
- When Your Child Has a Developmental Disability (PDF)—A brochure on steps that can be taken when your child has a disability.
- Master Plan 2020—The master plan provides policies and guidelines for sustaining livable communities and achieving balanced development in Baltimore County. It is updated every ten years.
- Adopted Community Plans—A community plan is a public document which contains specific proposals for future land uses and public improvements in a given community.
- Baltimore County Pedestrian and Bicycle Access Plan—An action plan for improving pedestrian and bicycling facilities in Baltimore County
The Historic Preservation Design Guidelines were developed to be a resource for citizens who are interested in rehabilitating historic homes. Design guidelines (PDF) for historic preservation were adopted by the Landmarks Preservation Commission and approved by the Director of Planning on November 25, 2011 in accordance with Article 3, Title 7 of the Baltimore County Code for inclusion in the Code of Baltimore County Regulations.
Other publications have been created on various historic topics for Baltimore County.
- Baltimore County Landscape Manual (PDF)—This manual provides guidelines for landscape elements in development.
- Complete Streets Guidelines (PDF)—These guidelines apply to development inside the Urban-Rural Demarcation Line, and promote accessibility by all users of the County's transportation system.
- Comprehensive Manual of Development Policies—This manual provides guidelines to encourage developmental design excellence.
- Design Review Panel Commercial Review Handbook with Application (PDF)—This handbook describes the Commercial DRP review process and includes an application for requesting a DRP review.
- Design Review Panel Residential Review Handbook with Application (PDF)—This handbook describes the Residential DRP review process and includes an application for requesting a DRP review.
- Downtown Towson District 2016 (PDF)—These guidelines apply to development within Downtown Towson.
- Manual of Regulations, Section 260 (PDF)—This manual provides guidelines for buildings proposed in major development.
- Pikesville Commercial Revitalization Guidelines (PDF)—These guidelines provide a higher level of detail than the existing Comprehensive Manual of Development Policies for the Pikesville area.
- Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance, Schools (APFO)—The annual APFO report indicates overcrowded school districts per the County Code. The Department of Planning performs a school impact analysis for each proposed development project to determine whether there is a school construction or adjacent spare capacity to accommodate the overcrowded school.
- Baltimore County 2015 Annual Growth Report (PDF)—A report that tracks development-related changes having occurred in Baltimore County in the 2015 calendar year. It proves that the changes are consistent with the County’s growth policies and land use goals.
- County Demographics—This information displays the data sheets and a series of thematic maps for Baltimore County analyzed using Census 2010 data and American Community Survey (2007 to 2011) results. The data sheets and maps are available in the Department of Planning's PDF Map Library.
- Baltimore County Planning Research Report for 2013, Economic Development and Prosperity (PDF)
- Quarterly Subdivision Reports—These reports summarize approved plans and building permits for residential and non-residential development in Baltimore County. To receive notification when each new edition of the report is available, subscribe to the Quarterly Subdivision Report email list.
- Residential Development Capacity Study—A report that calculated the potential number of residential units that could be constructed under the existing zoning regulations in the urban area of the County.
For more information, contact Kui Zhao, AICP, Demographer, at 410-887-3521 or firstname.lastname@example.org.