Permits, Approvals and Inspections
Print this page.

Zoning Review

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How can I determine if my neighbor is violating the zoning regulations? 

A. To determine if someone is in violation of Baltimore County Zoning Regulations, call Zoning Review at 410-887-3391, or Code Enforcement at 410-887-3351.

Back to top

Q. Can you tell me how my property is zoned?

A. By visiting the My Neighborhood Interactive Map users can search for properties, view the zoning, view aerial photography, create custom printable maps and obtain owner information.

Upon the first visit to My Neighborhood, users will be directed to download a one-time Silverlight plug-in directly from Microsoft via a link. If you are using an Apple MAC OS X and need to install Silverlight, do not use the install link provided on the application page. Instead, use the following link to install the proper plug-in:
Presently, this information cannot be provided over the telephone. In the meantime, you, or a representative, are welcome to visit the Zoning Review Office in the County Office Building, 111 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Room 111, Towson, Maryland, 21204. A planner will provide personal assistance to you and no appointment is necessary. If you would like the zoning information certified in written form, you may write a letter to Arnold Jablon, Director of Permits, Approvals and Inspections, at the same address. There is a $10 processing fee for written certification of residential property by the property owner and $50 for all others. Although not required, an accurate site plan will ensure the accuracy of the zoning verification.

Back to top

Q. What are the setbacks for my property?

A. If you know the zoning of the particular piece of property, you can contact the Zoning Review Office at 410-887-3391, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Otherwise, you must visit the Zoning Review Office in the County Office Building, Room 111, or write a letter to Arnold Jablon, Director of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections, 111 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 105, Towson, Maryland, 21204.

Back to top

Q. What zoning regulations must I comply with to construct an addition to my dwelling?

A. To ascertain this information, you must contact 410-887-3391, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or come into the office with the location of the property, size of the addition, type of dwelling (single, group, or semi-detached), book and folio numbers from your deed (if in a recorded subdivision), and name of the recorded subdivision.

Back to top

Q. Is it legal for my neighbor to build a large shed close to my property line?

A. Accessory structures (storage sheds, garages, etc.) must be located in the rear yard behind the rear foundation wall line, must occupy no more than 40 percent of the yard, and must be located two and one-half feet from the side and rear property lines. If there is an alley, there must be a minimum setback of fifteen feet from the centerline. There is a height limitation of fifteen feet; and, if located on a corner lot (intersection of two streets), the structure must be situated in the one-half of the lot furthest from the side street. A building permit is required if the structure is over 120 square feet. Information on how to obtain a building permit may be obtained by calling Permit Processing at 410-887-3900, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Back to top

Q. What are the regulations for fences?

A. A permit is required for fences over forty-two inches high (measured vertical to ground, even if the fence is placed on top of a wall). If a fence is erected within an easement and is required to be removed, it would be at the owner's expense. An access easement can not be fenced.

On a corner lot, no fence or other obstruction to vision is permitted higher than three feet within twenty-five feet of the corner of the two streets, fifteen feet of a street and alley, and ten feet of two alleys. A residential fence in a side or rear yard which adjoins a residential front yard cannot exceed forty-two inches if it is setback zero to ten feet, forty-eight inches if setback ten to twenty feet, sixty inches if setback twenty to thirty feet, and if setback over thirty feet, there is no height limit. Required pool fences and houses more than two hundred feet apart are exceptions.

No residential fence may exceed a maximum height of forty-two inches in the front yard and six feet in the side and rear yards at the property line. If there is a setback of two feet for every vertical foot over six feet, the maximum height may not exceed ten feet in the side and rear yards.

Additional information can be accessed by visiting or callingZoning Review at 410-887-3391.

Back to top

Q. How can I obtain an application for signs and fences?

A. Applications for signs and fences can be applied for in person in the County Office Building, Room 111, 111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Towson, Maryland, 21204. Further information may be acquired by callingZoning Review at 410-887-3391.

Back to top

Q. How can I purchase the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations?

A. To purchase the regulations, contact General Code Publishers at 1-800-836-8834. The Baltimore County Zoning Regulations are available online.

Back to top

Revised April 15, 2014

Was This Page Helpful?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*