Skip Navigation
Permits, Approvals and Inspections
Print this page.

Building Inspections

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q. Can my neighbor divert rain water from their downspout onto my property?

A. Downspouts are to be discharged at a distance of not less than eight feet from any property line measured along the path of flow.

Back to top

Q. What is the footing depth in Baltimore County?

A. The footing depth in Baltimore County is 30 inches below final grade.

Back to top

Q. Can you tell me if a contractor has a Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) license?

A. Information can be obtained from the MHIC at 410-230-6309, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m or you can visit the state's website.

Back to top

Q. What has to be completed to receive a final inspection for a new residence (single-family dwelling)?


  • A positive grade away from the house foundation downspouts
  • Gutters and splash blocks in place
  • All necessary guard details and railings
  • Electrical and plumbing work completed 
  • A finished kitchen and bath.

Back to top

Q. What size accessory structure requires a footing?  

A. Those exceeding 400 square feet require frost-line footings.

Back to top

Q. How many layers of shingles can be put on a roof?

A. Two layers of shingles.

For additional information, contact Permit Processing at 410-887-3900, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Your area inspector can be reached by calling 410-887-3953, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 and 8 a.m. or between 3 and 3:30 p.m.

Back to top

Revised April 11, 2014

Was This Page Helpful?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*