Permits, Approvals and Inspections
Frequently Asked Questions
Please select from among the following links to review and / or print frequently asked questions by bureau.
- About Permits, Approvals and Inspections offers general answers about Permits, Approvals and Inspections.
- Building Inspections inspects construction projects for compliance with the Building Code and the approved construction plans.
- Building Plans Review assures public safety by examining building plans to ensure that the designs of proposed projects meet the requirements of the building code.
- Code Inspections and Enforcement inspects properties for compliance with the Zoning Regulations, Livability Code, Investment Property Maintenance Regulations, rental housing, Rat Program and other laws relating to the use of existing property.
- Development Management handles the coordination of county agencies' review of proposed residential and commercial subdivisions and other land development.
- Development Plans Review checks the development plans from an engineering point of view, making sure the layout meets design standards for traffic control, storm drainage, and various public improvements, such as roads, sidewalks, streetlights, and curbing.
- Electrical Inspection inspects electrical work to assure safety through compliance with the electrical code.
- Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections handles rights-of-way, easements, and other related property matters for both private development and public use.
- Miscellaneous Permits and Licenses issues non-building related permits and licenses, such as gathering permits, bingo licenses, animal licenses, hotel/motel licenses, residential parking permits, etc.
- Permit Processing accepts building, electrical and plumbing permit applications and coordinates their review by various county agencies.
- Plumbing Inspection inspects plumbing and gas fitting work to assure safety through compliance with the Plumbing Code (PDF).
- Zoning Review processes all zoning petitions, reviews all residential / commercial / industrial building permits, and answers all citizen inquiries regarding the interpretation and application of the zoning regulations.
Revised December 5, 2012