Building Plans Review
E. John Bryan Jr., Supervisor
County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room 120
Towson, Maryland 21204
Building Plans Review is responsible for reviewing all new building plans and permits to assure adherence to the Baltimore County building, fire and related codes.
- Current Building and Fire Codes: List of current codes in effect for Baltimore County
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Required For Dwellings That Use Fossil Fuels (PDF)
- Notice to all Residential Permit Applicants Regarding Construction Documentation
- Facts You Should Know for Permit Applications (PDF): There are certain requirements to be met before proceeding with any building, plumbing, or electrical work in Baltimore County. This brochure explains what you need to provide when applying for a permit. Following this information may help you to avoid delays or problems as you go through the permit process.
Energy Conservation Information and Forms
- State of Maryland Energy Code
- Building Thermal Envelope One Story Additions 600 Square Feet or Less (PDF)
- Residential Energy Conservation Code Introduction
- Energy Efficiency Certificate of Compliance (PDF)
- 2015 IECC Code Compliance (PDF): Energy notes to be provided on 1 and 2 family construction plans.
Accessible Parking Requirements
If you are building or renovating in a waterfront or stream area, the floodplain regulations can be confusing. View the floodplain information to find some of the questions, answers, guidelines, and forms that people frequently request.
- FEMA Flood Zone Map Notice (PDF) Effective May 5, 2014
Use Inspection Connection to schedule inspections or inquire about permits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Additional Documents and Information
- Adopted Design Manual Changes: The Design Division of the Baltimore County Bureau of Engineering and Construction has adopted changes to portions of the "Design Manual: Chapter on Structures" (PDF) regarding retaining walls referred to in the Baltimore County Building Code, Section 1806.2.
- Baltimore County Fire Prevention Code: Regulates the hazards of fire and explosion.
Revised October 3, 2016