Building Plans Review
E. John Bryan Jr., Supervisor
County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room 120
Towson, Maryland 21204
Building Plans Review is responsible for reviewing all new building plans and permits to assure adherence to the Baltimore County building, fire and related codes.
- Expedited building plan review program allows private sector peer review. Applicants for commercial building permits may elect to utilize private sector design professionals to peer review construction plans (which receive priority status during the plan review process) and specifications for code compliance prior to submission. Please review the Third Party Plan Review Policy (PDF), Requirements (PDF), Process (PDF) and Acknowledgement and Indemnification Agreement (PDF).
- Review Facts You Should Know for Permit Applications (PDF) for an explanation of what requirements are to be met before applying and proceeding with any building, plumbing or electrical work in Baltimore County. Following this information may help you to avoid delays or problems as you go through the permit process.
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Required For Dwellings That Use Fossil Fuels (PDF)
- Notice to all Residential Permit Applicants Regarding Construction Documentation
Energy Conservation Information and Forms
- State of Maryland Energy Code
- Building Thermal Envelope One Story Additions 600 Square Feet or Less (PDF)
- Residential Energy Conservation Code Introduction
- Energy Efficiency Certificate of Compliance (PDF)
- 2015 IECC Code Compliance (PDF): Energy notes to be provided on one- and two-family construction plans.
Accessible Parking Requirements
If you are building or renovating in a waterfront or stream area, the floodplain regulations can be confusing. View the floodplain information to find some of the questions, answers, guidelines, and forms that people frequently request.
- FEMA Flood Zone Map Notice (PDF) Effective May 5, 2014
Use Inspection Connection to schedule inspections or inquire about permits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Additional Documents and Information
- Adopted Design Manual Changes: The Design Division of the Baltimore County Bureau of Engineering and Construction has adopted changes to portions of the "Design Manual: Chapter on Structures" (PDF) regarding retaining walls referred to in the Baltimore County Building Code, Section 1806.2.
- Baltimore County Fire Prevention Code
- Current Building and Fire Codes