Karen L. Lewis, Permit Services Supervisor
County Office Building
111 West Chesapeake Avenue, Room 100
Towson, Maryland 21204
Phone: 410-887-3900 (Permit Processing)
Phone: 410-887-3614 (Electrical and Plumbing Processing)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Baltimore County Building Code
The most recent edition of the Baltimore County Building Code was enacted by Baltimore County Council Bill Number 40-15 (PDF), which became effective on July 1, 2015. It adopted the 2015 editions of the International Building Code, the International Residential Code, the International Mechanical Code and the International Energy Code as well as local amendments.
- Processing of applications for building, electrical, and plumbing permits
- Acceptance of fees for water and sewer connections contained in public works agreements
- Processing of applications for water meter services, which are prepared and forwarded to the Department of Public Works and the Baltimore City Bureau of Water Supply
- Processing of records relating to receipt of revenues for the issuance of various permits
- Processing of fees for water and sewer installations
- Collection and review of documents and other information as needed in the course of the permit process
- Information Regarding Carbon Monoxide and CO Detectors
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Required (PDF)
- Adopted Design Manual Changes (retaining walls in the Building Code) (PDF)
- Pattern Book (PDF): Permit Process For A Lot In A Development To Get A Building Permit
The Baltimore County Council recently enacted Bill Number 8-17, which provides as follows:
- A person who desires to demolish, raze, move or remove as building, in whole or in part, shall submit with the application for a permit to do so a statement of a certified pest control technician from a licensed pest control firm that "appropriate rat eradication measures have been taken and the premises are rat-free."
- Applications for permits to demolish, raze, move or remove a building filed on and after March 20, 2017 shall include the statement described above. If not included, a permit will not be issued.
Building Permit Requirements
Please note: All building permit applications must be applied for in-person. Please refer to the building permit application sample (PDF) in regards to information you will need in order to complete the process.
Building Permits are required for the following:
- Accessory structures (sheds, garages, gazebos, etc.) over 120 square feet
- All accessory structures located within the 100 year floodplain, Chesapeake Bay Critical Area or an historic district
- Garages and carports attached to single family dwellings
- Above ground swimming pools over 250 square feet with water depth of 24 inches or more
- All in-ground pools: a 48-inch safety barrier with self-latching, self-closing gates is required
- Retaining walls over 36 inches in height, engineered drawings are required for over 48 inches
- Fences over 42 inches in height
- Decks greater than 16 inches above the lowest grade and exceeds 120 square feet
- Wood stoves, pellet stoves and fireplaces
- Additions and structural modifications to existing dwellings
- Enclosing of open porches and decks
- Basement excavations
- Change of use of structure
- Razing permits
- Grading over 5,000 square feet
- Alterations and additions of any kind located in a proposed or designated Baltimore County historic district.
Building Permit Search
Search the list of building permits issued in Baltimore County.
Most records are available online from 2009 onward. New records are added weekly.
Equipment fees are as follows:
- Antenna – $30 each
- Equipment Cabinet – $35 each
- Area Light – $5 each
- Platform, if involved – $140 each
Radio, Television or Wireless Services Tower fees are as follows:
- 50 feet and under – $30 each
- 51 to 200 feet – $60 each
- 201 feet and over – $100 each
Estimated issue time for telecommunications permits is one day to four weeks depending on reviewing agencies.
Note: Fees are subject to change without notice.
Energy Conservation Information and Forms
- State of Maryland Energy Code
- Energy Efficiency Certificate of Compliance (PDF)
- Building Thermal Envelope (PDF): One-Story Additions 600 Square Feet or Less
- Notice to Residential Permit Applicants Regarding Construction Documentation
Telecommunications Permit Requirements
To obtain permits for Telecommunications Equipment and Structures, including radio or television antennas and cell towers, applicant must present, in person, with the following documents:
- Two sets of signed and sealed Construction Plans
- 10 plot plans-engineered (not required for antennas being placed on an existing tower or on a roof)
- Three Plans Review Data Sheets
In addition, you will be provided an application to be completed in the Permit Office.
Note: In the case of cell tower- and wireless antenna-related plans, permit applicants may be required to obtain and present signed and documented proof of Baltimore County approval of their plan before permits can be issued. For detailed information, refer to the Antenna Collocation and Tower Construction processes.