The Office of Law is responsible for indexing, codifying and publishing the legislation adopted by the County Council to the Baltimore County Code, 2003 and the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations. The Office of Law is also responsible for compiling and maintaining the Code of Baltimore County Regulations (COBAR). This page also contains links to Miscellaneous Codes, such as the Building Code of Baltimore County.
The County Code and Charter are available online in a searchable PDF format. Upon completion of our maintenance upgrade, a new version will be available mid-spring 2016. The upgraded version features easy access from a mobile device, advanced searching capabilities, social media sharing and more.
The County Code has been supplemented through Bill 20-15 (Supplement 36). To stay up to date, be sure to also review legislation recently enacted by the County Council.
Printed versions of the County Code are also available at Baltimore County Public Library branches.
Baltimore County Zoning Regulations
General Code, LLC is the official publisher of the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations. In December 2008, General Code published a new version of the Zoning Regulations that replaces and supersedes any other version of the Zoning Regulations. To purchase a hard copy of the new Baltimore County Zoning Regulations, please visit General Code, LLC online or call 800-836-8834.
New app! General Code, LLC has produced a new Search App for Apple and Android Mobile devices and tablets, which can be downloaded from Apple's App Store and Google Play Store. Now you never have to be without your copy of the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations.
Please direct other inquiries related to the Zoning Regulations to the Zoning Review Bureau, Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections.
The Baltimore County Code provides for the creation of a Code of Baltimore County Regulations (COBAR), which is to be maintained by the Office of Law. The office envisions eventually creating and publishing a volume of COBAR that is similar to the State of Maryland's Code of Maryland Regulations.
This page will contain links to COBAR regulations as they are adopted by agencies of the County government. In some cases, you will be directed to agency web pages that contain links to PDF copies of the regulations; in other cases, you will be directed directly from this page to PDF copies of the regulations. In all cases, the links below refer only to regulations that have been specifically drafted or revised for the COBAR project. The county has many other regulations that have not yet been revised for the COBAR project but nevertheless remain in effect.
Department of Environmental Protection and Sustainability (EPS) (COBAR Title 1)
- Agricultural land preservation
- Food services facilities
- Grading Regulations
- Ground Water Management Regulations
- Swimming pools and bathing beaches (now under the authority of the Health Department)
Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections (PAI) (COBAR Title 2)
- Skating rinks and amusement hall regulations
- Police-initiated towing regulations
- Trespass towing regulations
Department of Planning (COBAR Title 3)
- Adequate Public School Facilities Regulations and Forms
Department of Public Works (DPW) (COBAR Title 4)
Office of Budget and Finance (COBAR Title 5)
- General Provisions
- Natural Disaster Tax Credit
- Fallen Hero Tax Credit
- Disabled Law Enforcement Officers and Rescue Workers Tax Credit
- Energy Conservation Devices Tax Credit
- High Performance Buildings Tax Credit
- High Performance Homes Tax Credit
Note: The Office of Budget and Finance has even more information about these and other tax credits.
Various County agencies also adopt and publish Codes and requirements that have the effect of law. In many cases, the Codes are formally adopted by legislative act of the County Council. As they become available, links to the web pages of the agencies that adopt these Codes or links to PDF copies of the documents themselves will be added to this page.
Currently, we have links to Miscellaneous Codes of:
Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections
- The Plumbing and Gasfitting Code of Baltimore County (PDF) was adopted in Bill 41-15. This bill adopts with certain deletions, replacements, amendments, and additions the National Standard Plumbing Code, PHCC, 2015 Edition, the National Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1, 2015 Edition, and the Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, NFPA 58, 2014 Edition.
- The Baltimore County Building Code (PDF) was adopted in Bill 40-15. This bill adopts with certain amendments, deletions and additions, the ICC International Building Code, 2015 Edition; the ICC International Residential Code, 2015 Edition; the ICC International Mechanical Code, 2015 Edition, and the ICC International Energy Conservation Code, 2015 Edition.
Revised May 4, 2016