Baltimore County Department of Health
6401 York Road, Third Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21212-2130
TTY users call Maryland Relay
Baltimore County Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Program
The Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Program provides education and assistance to local individuals and groups regarding tobacco use, prevention and cessation.
- Prevent minors from tobacco use
- Protect residents from secondhand smoke
- Eliminate disparities related to tobacco use and its effect on different populations
- Help residents quit smoking
Reasons To Quit
- Smoking has been implicated in causing: lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, stomach ulcers, and other illnesses.
- Secondhand smoke causes illnesses to those who do not smoke.
- Nicotine is more addictive than alcohol or cocaine.
- Smoking is costly.
- Secondhand smoke hurts your pet (PDF).
Free Quit Smoking Help
- Attend a Freedom From Smoking®, Up In Smoke Class© or STOP SMOKING Today! – These programs use a positive behavior change approach, and help participants develop their own plan on how to quit. By the end of each program you'll learn about reducing stress, cravings and withdrawal symptoms, and how to control your weight while resisting the urge to smoke. Free nicotine replacement gum, lozenges and Chantix is available to those attending cessation classes. Register to attend one of the following classes:
Fall 2014 Classes
Freedom From Smoking®
Wednesdays from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m., October 29 to December 10
Brick Bodies Reisterstown
2 Chartley Drive
Reisterstown, Maryland 21136
To register, call: 410-252-8058 extension 102
Smoking Cessation Classes
Thursdays from noon to 1 p.m. or 6 to 7 p.m., November 6 to December 4
Drumcastle Government Center
6401 York Road, First Floor Lobby Conference Room
Baltimore, Maryland 21212
To register, call: Dan Young at 410-887-3828
Winter 2015 Classes
STOP SMOKING Today!
Thursdays from 6 to 8 p.m., January 8 to February 12
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, Family Health Center
9101 Franklin Square Drive, Suite 205
Baltimore, Maryland 21237
To register, call: Karen Polite-Lamma, RN, MSN at 443-777-7900
Up In Smoke©
Thursdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., January 8 to February 12
North Point Library
1716 Merritt Boulevard
Dundalk, Maryland 21222
To register, call: Greta Brand at 410-399-2001 or online at www.bcpl.info
- Call 1-800-Quit-Now (1-800-784-8669) for free phone counseling and nicotine replacement patches. The Quitline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for those 13 years and older. English and other languages are available.
Self Help Resources
American Cancer Society
8219 Town Center Drive
White Marsh, Maryland 21236
American Heart Association
415 North Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
American Lung Association
211 East Lombard Street, Suite 260
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Baltimore City Department of Health
1001 East Fayette Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The list of self-help resources is for educational assistance only. No endorsement of any program is intended.
Revised October 20, 2014