Baltimore County Health Coalition
Baltimore County Department of Health
Drumcastle Government Center
6401 York Road, Third Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21212-2130
Phone: 410-887-BCHD (2243)
TTY users call via Maryland Relay
Gregory Wm. Branch, M.D., MBA, CPE
Baltimore County Health Officer, Baltimore County Coalition Chair
Laura Culbertson, R.N., MSN
Public Health Nurse Administrator, Coalition Point-of-Contact
August is National Breastfeeding Month - Discover how breastfeeding benefits your baby's health, your health and get helpful tools and information. Additionally, a free Breastfeeding Support Group meets weekly at Creative Kids, 958 Ashbridge Drive, Essex, Maryland 21221. Space is limited. To register call 410-828-7700 ext. 1265.
National Health Centers Week (August 9 to 15) - celebrates the high-quality, cost-effective care of community health centers, such as those operated by the Baltimore County Health Department.
The Baltimore County Health Coalition is working to achieve Maryland State Health Improvement process objectives and ensure that we have healthy people living, working, and playing in Baltimore County. As the Coalition continues to move forward with its initiatives, additional information will be posted to this website.
The Baltimore County Local Health Improvement Process explains the indicators that the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene reports for Baltimore County. In addition to its data being used for planning purposes, it offers a variety of health resources for the public.
The Coalition is working to reduce the following:
- Fall-related deaths
- Hypertension emergency visits
- Low birth weight and very low birth weight
- Proportion of young children and adolescents who are obese
- Tobacco use by adults*
- Proportion of youths who use any kind of tobacco product*
- Substance abuse overdose deaths
*These priorities are being addressed by the Baltimore County Tobacco Coalition.
Baltimore County has some notable health strengths (PDF) and other areas where an investment in targeted action could pay dividends over the upcoming years. Review the following:
- Original Action Plan (PDF)
- Revised Action Plan (PDF)
- Action Plan Progress Report Chart (PDF)
- Year-One Progress Report (PDF)
Public Health Core Function and Ten Essential Services
- The core functions (PDF) of assessment, policy development and assurance of services provide the framework for all activities in public health.
Revised July 29, 2015