Inspections and Fire Code Enforcement
Office of the Fire Marshal
700 East Joppa Road
Towson, Maryland 21204
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Fire Director Bruce Schultz
The Baltimore County Office of the Fire Marshal is responsible for ensuring the safety of citizens through enforcement of state and local fire codes for residential and commercial facilities.
Duties handled by the Fire Marshal include:
- Preventive inspections of businesses, places of assembly, county buildings, educational and health institutions and other occupancies for compliance with the Baltimore County Fire Prevention Code (PDF) and the Maryland State Fire Prevention Code.
- Investigation of fire and life safety code violations and complaints, including overcrowding at public facilities; order corrective action or levy civil penalties.
- Reviews plans for subdivisions for compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
- Acceptance testing of fire protection systems.
- Investigation of complaints regarding suspected fire safety hazards.
- Inspection of fireworks kiosks and public displays.
- Investigation of fire events.
- Maintenance of fire safety inspection records.
Common Fire Code Concerns
The following are some of the fire code issues that commonly impact County citizens:
- Open burning
Public Records Kept by the Baltimore County Fire Department
Information on public records maintained by the Baltimore County Fire Department and how to request them can be found on the Requesting Fire Department Records website.
Revised May 19, 2016