Join The Baltimore County Fire Department
Check this page periodically; notifications about open application periods for the positions of Probationary Emergency Medical Technician, Probationary Firefighter and Paramedic will be posted here.
Job Interest Card may be filled out online. Submit your request to be notified when other job opportunities become available.
- Probationary Emergency Medical Technician
- Probationary Firefighter
What Do I Need To Apply For a Job In the Fire Department?
The required minimum qualifications for Probationary EMT and Probationary Firefighter are:
- Must have a high school diploma, GED, or state accredited equivalent.
- Possession of a valid driver's license equivalent to a non-provisional, non-commercial, class C driver's license with less than four points. It does not have to be a Maryland license.
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of application. There is no maximum age limit.
- Must pass a physical examination, psychological evaluation, comprehensive background examination and a drug test.
Applicants for the position of Paramedic must possess, in addition to the requirements above, a Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic, Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate, Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician, or Maryland Cardiac Rescue Technician-Intermediate certificate or possession of a comparable certificate from an out-of-state agency for which reciprocity is recognized.
Employees hired with the Fire Department serve a probationary period of two years. Applicants are not required to possess any certificates or certifications to apply for probationary, entry-level EMT or firefighter positions.
Learn About the Job
When considering a job with the Fire Department, we strongly recommend that you learn about fire station life and the type of work that firefighters and EMTs do.
Our comprehensive PowerPoint presentation, "Who We Are, What We Do," (PDF) will give you a sense of the Fire Department's mission and daily operations, training and station life.
Also, the Fire Department section of this website can broaden your understanding of the agency.
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary for Probationary EMTs and firefighters is $35,125.
Starting pay for paramedics is $49,861.
The Fire Department offers excellent benefits. These include:
- Annual salary review and longevity increments
- Generous vacation and sick leave
- Uniforms and personal protective equipment
- An educational assistance program
- Health, dental and life insurance coverage
- Representation by a certified labor organization, the Baltimore County Professional Fire Fighters Association, Local 1311
- Excellent retirement and deferred compensation plans
- Opportunities for career advancement
Apply for the Job
When you apply for a job with the Fire Department, use this handy guide to help you complete the County's job application form. Note that the County uses the same application form for all jobs, regardless of the department.
Prepare for the Tests
The Written Exam
The Fire Department application process includes a written examination.
A study guide (PDF) is available to help applicants prepare for the exam.
In addition, these test-taking resources can increase your chances of success on the written exam:
Physical Ability Test
The department invites applicants who pass the written exam to take the physical ability test. A video of the Physical Ability Test course is available to assist applicants with preparing to take the test.
In order to participate in the Physical Ability Test, candidates must have a completed Medical Authorization Form (PDF) signed by a doctor. Be sure to allow your doctor enough time to complete this form. Candidates also need to complete an Applicant Data Form (PDF) and bring it with them to the Physical Ability Test.
The department holds practice sessions prior to the actual test so that candidates have the best possible chance of success.
If you have questions about or problems with your application or the written examination, contact the Office of Human Resources, 410-887-3135.
If you have other questions, use this online form to contact the Recruitment Unit.