Permit Review, Plan Review, Development Meetings and Hearings
The Development Coordination Section (DC) within the Department of Environmental Protection & Sustainability (EPS) is charged with coordinating the distribution, tracking, and approval of permits and plans within EPS. DC interacts also with other County agencies regarding development issues and represents EPS at the Development Review Committee (DRC), Zoning Hearings, and Development Hearings.
Specific sections within EPS that may review a given plan or permit include:
- Land preservation programs
- Rural Legacy coordinator
- Rural development review
- Agricultural zoning review
- Agricultural Land Preservation Advisory Board
- Coastal Rural Legacy Area
- Environmental Resource & Regulation Review and Compliance
- Review of Building Impacts within the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area
- Review of Building Impacts to Wetlands, Streams and Forests
- Determination and Compliance with Wetland, Stream and Forest Buffer Laws
- Soil Percolation Test Approval
- Onsite Sewage Disposal System Design and Repair
- Well Permitting and Certification
- Groundwater Contamination Investigations
- Residential Underground Storage Tank (UST) Removal and Abandonment
- Household Hazardous Waste Program
- Razing & Open Burning Permit Review
- Landfill, Recycling Facility and Trash Truck Inspections
The Inspection and Enforcement Section moved to the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections in February 2012. They are responsible for the following:
- Sediment Control Inspection and Enforcement During Active Construction
- Drainage Complaint Investigations During Active Construction
- Review of Storm Water Management Plans
- Review of Grading Plans
- Inspection of Privately Owned Storm Water Management Facilities
Other review agencies within the Department of Permits Approvals and Inspections (PAI) that may also review a given plan or permit include:
Development Management coordinates the county review of proposed subdivisions of land and commercial development.
Zoning Review processes zoning petitions and reviews all building permits for compliance with zoning regulations.
Permits and Licenses processes all building permit applications.
Real Estate Compliance (formerly known as Land Acquisition) coordinates county acquisition and sale of land, and performs review of public deeds and plats.
Revised March 7, 2012