Permit Review, Plan Review, Development Meetings and Hearings
The Development Coordination Section (DC) within the Department of Environmental Protection and Sustainability (EPS) is charged with coordinating the distribution, tracking and approval of permits and plans within EPS. DC interacts also with other County agencies regarding development issues and represents EPS at the Development Review Committee (DRC), Zoning Hearings, and Development Hearings.
Specific sections within EPS that may review a given plan or permit include:
- Environmental resource and regulation review and compliance
- Review of building impacts within the Chesapeake Bay Critical Area
- Review of building Impacts to wetlands, streams and forests
- Determination and compliance with wetland, stream and forest buffer laws
- Soil percolation test approval
- Onsite sewage disposal system design and repair
- Well permitting and certification
- Groundwater contamination investigations
- Residential underground storage tank removal and abandonment
- Household Hazardous Waste Program
- Razing and open burning permit review
- Landfill, recycling facility and trash truck inspections
- Review of stormwater management plans
- Review of grading plans
- Inspection of privately owned stormwater management facilities
Other review agencies within the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections that may also review a given plan or permit include:
Agricultural and Land Preservation coordinates land preservation programs, Rural Legacy coordination, agricultural zoning.
Development Management coordinates the County review of proposed subdivisions of land and commercial development.
Permits and Licenses processes all building permit applications.
Real Estate Compliance formerly known as Land Acquisition, coordinates County acquisition and sale of land, and performs review of public deeds and plats.
Sediment Control and Drainage sediment control inspection and enforcement during active construction and drainage complaint investigations during active construction.
Zoning Review processes zoning petitions and reviews all building permits for compliance with zoning regulations.