Economic Impact of the Arts
The arts provide jobs, attract and retain an educated, creative workforce, engage cultural tourists, and generate tax revenue that helps Baltimore County maintain its outstanding quality of life.
Economic Impact of the Arts in Maryland
- 7.9 million people attended arts events, classes and workshops in Maryland, generating $1 billion in total economic impact for Maryland during FY2011.
- The arts generated an estimated $37.8 million in state and local tax revenue.
- The arts provided 11,434 full-time equivalent jobs which generated $399 million in salaries.
Audience Support for the Arts in the Baltimore Region
3.47 million people attended arts events in the Baltimore region during FY2011.
Economic Impact of the Arts in the Baltimore Region
- Arts organizations generated $495 million of economic impact in the Baltimore region.
- People working in the arts earned $210.7 million in salaries and income.
- Arts organizations provided 5,745 full time equivalent jobs.
Baltimore Region data includes Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford, and Howard Counties and Baltimore City.
Source: Maryland State Arts Council, Economic Impact of the Arts in Maryland FY2011.
Revised January 3, 2013