The primary obligation of the Baltimore County Circuit Court Law Library is to provide legal information and information services to the judges, attorneys, paralegals, government officials and citizens representing themselves in legal matters who reside or practice in Baltimore County, Maryland. This mission is founded on the central importance of knowledge and information to the practice of law. Secondarily, the library shall provide access to County residents to the laws that affect them and provide public service to assist these library users in locating materials held in the collection. However, since the library was not established as an educational institution, limited service will be available for students doing research in connection with course work as it is the obligation of their educational institutions to provide such training.
Reference service given to students while they are working on class assignments will be limited to questions about the locations of books and materials within the library and to instruction on the use of the online catalog and computer services. Further reference will not be available.
Staff will not offer the following reference services to students:
- Respond to questions on how to use books and materials found in the library.
- Suggest which books or materials might be helpful on a particular topic.
- Interpret assignments or exams for students.
- Teach legal citations to students.
- Circulate any reading materials.
Copiers are available for your convenience. Students who have questions that go beyond the bounds of reference service available at the Law Library are advised to seek help or clarification from their instructor or the librarians on their campus.
Library Usage Rules
To maintain a professional atmosphere, the following rules must be strictly adhered to at all times:
- Students must sign in at the front desk.
- Students may not congregate in groups, make noise or create disturbances.
- Students may not horde, mutilate or remove library materials from the library.
- Students may not lounge in the reading area or use the library as a study hall.
- Students may not bring food, drink or cell phones into the library.
- Smoking is prohibited.
- Students must wear proper attire.
Revised April 29, 2016