Skip Navigation

Circuit Court Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I become a Notary Public?

A. Application must be made through the Secretary of State. Call 410-974-5521 to request applications. The address of residence determines which county will issue the commission. Upon notification from the Secretary of State, you will be directed to Circuit Court to be sworn in. The fee is $11 for the Secretary of State and $11 for the Clerk of the Court.

Q. What is the Circuit Court, and how does it differ from the District Court?

A. The Circuit Court is the highest common law and equity court of record exercising original jurisdiction within Maryland. The court has full common law and equity powers and jurisdiction in all civil, juvenile and criminal cases within the county and all the additional powers and jurisdiction conferred by the Constitution and by law. The Circuit Court also may decide appeals from the District court and certain administrative agencies. This court is responsible for hearing all major felony cases–including death penalty cases–as well as all criminal misdemeanor cases in which there is a request for a jury trial. All civil claims are heard in this court exclusively involving disputes over $20,000 in addition to all matters pertaining to divorce, custody, child support and visitation.

The District Court of Maryland is responsible for all traffic matters, civil matters under $10,000 (including small claims disputes) and all criminal misdemeanor cases.

Both the Circuit Court and District Court have mutual jurisdiction over civil matters, where the amount in dispute is between $10,000 and $20,000, and all domestic violence petitions.

Back to top

Q. What is the status of my case?

A. You can find more information about the status of your case by calling the Clerk of the Court for Baltimore County at the following numbers:

  • Civil Department: 410-887-2621
  • Criminal Department: 410-887-2625
  • Trust and Adoptions: 410-887-3469
  • Criminal Assignment: 410-887-2694
  • Civil Assignment: 410-887-2660
  • Juvenile Department: 410-887-3836

Back to top

Q. Where can I find information on land records and deeds?

A. Call the Land Records Department in the Clerk's Office at 410-887-2650 or search for records through the Maryland State Archives

Back to top

Q. Where can I park?

A. The County Courts Building is located at 401 Bosley Avenue between Pennsylvania and Chesapeake Avenues. Parking garages are located one block south of the County Courts Building at 100 West Susquehanna Avenue and 110 West Susquehanna Avenue. In addition, there are two-hour metered spots outside of the Courts Building and the Court House.

Back to top


Revised April 12, 2016        

Did This Page Help?
Fields marked with * are required.
Page Rating*