Resources for the Business Community
What Do I Need to Do?
- I want to write a business or marketing plan
- I need information on funding programs and business structuring.
- I want to bid on construction capital improvement contracts, architectural and engineering projects and commodities, services, maintenance, janitorial, information technology and promotional items contracts.
- I want to register or qualify to conduct business in Maryland for the Good Standing Requirement.
- I need a Baltimore County license or permit.
- I want to learn about Baltimore County’s Minority Business Program.
- I am looking for employees for my business and employment development assistance.
- I am interested in residential or commercial revitalization and block grants.
- I am interested in land use regulation information.
- I want to become a certified minority or woman business.
- I want to register my tax identification number with the state.
- I want to find out the Maryland license requirements for my business industry.
- I need to know Maryland labor regulations.
- I want State procurement.
- I want to locate another business advocate.
- I need a trader's license.
- I need information on Federal stimulus dollars.
- I need help with a business related problem.
- I am looking for grant opportunities.
Office of Budget and Finance
Minority and Women's Business Enterprise Program
Phone: 410-887-3407 or 410-887-3119
The Minority Business Enterprise provides information to minority, women and disabled owned businesses regarding procurement opportunities, preparing of business and marketing plans and financial information. Baltimore County Government is committed to providing greater opportunities for participation by minority, women and disabled owned businesses.
Purchasing Services is a centralized procurement office responsible for buying commodities, supplies, services, human services, office equipment, janitorial, building maintenance, vehicles, communications, computer hardware and software, peripherals and related services, furniture, recreational products, landscaping and more.
Use taxpayer services to pay your real or personal property taxes or search for property tax information. You will need a parcel identification or account number. You also will need to review and agree to Baltimore County's User Terms and Conditions.
Commission for Women
It is the mission of the Commission for Women, through education and outreach, to identify and advocate for programs, legislation and services to meet the needs of the women of Baltimore County.
The Department of Planning is a highly responsive, interactive agency that has a fundamental mission to strengthen, enhance and stabilize the county’s older, established communities. These older communities in the County, where a significant majority of the County's residents live, were officially designated as Priority Funding areas. The majority of the agency's work can be described as community development or community revitalization.
Development and Permitting Assistance
Businesses turn to the to advocate with regulatory agencies, facilitate the development approval process and link to problem solving resources.
Small Business Resource Center
The Small Business Resource Center is a partnership between Baltimore County Economic Development and the Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce. The center office businesses assistance with technical, financiak and marketing issues at no cost.
With the guidance of the Baltimore County Workforce Development Council, the Baltimore County Office of Workforce Development plays a unique role in the workforce development arena. In concert with the Department of Economic Development, the Baltimore County Workforce Development System acts as a broker for initiatives designed to develop a skilled workforce.
Development Management Division
The Development Management Division reviews new development plans to make sure they comply with land use regulations and fit in with existing communities and infrastructure.
Development Plans Review
Development Plans Review reviews the necessary public improvements each project requires.
Real Estate Compliance
Real Estate Compliance deals with rights-of-way and easement.
Construction Contracts Administration
Our mission is to provide responsible, efficient and effective engineering and construction administration services for County infrastructure, acting as owner and guardian during construction. We provide these services for all new and rehabilitation contracts including sanitary sewers, water mains, roads, bridges and storm drains, public buildings and pumping stations throughout the County. We also provide our services for other departments in the County government, including Recreation and Parks, Environment Protection Services, Police, Fire and Revenue Authority.
Professional Services Selection Committee
The selection of consultants for Professional Services (professional practices of architecture, landscape architecture, engineering or land surveying) contracts for County agencies (not Board of Education) is done by the Professional Services Selection Committee (PSSC). The Bureau of Engineering and Construction performs the administrative and record keeping part of the Selection Process for the PSSC.
Zoning is a system of land use regulation that controls the physical development of land. It is a legal mechanism by which local government is able to regulate an owner’s right to use privately owned land for the sake of protecting the public health, safety and general welfare.
What Other Public Buying Entities are Located in the County that are Available to the Business Community?
- Public library
- Revenue Authority
- Baltimore County Public Schools
- Towson University
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County
State of Maryland
- State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) – Register or qualify your business with the State of Maryland
Note: Non-compliance with SDAT can result in a delay in contract award or rejection of a bid.
- Business License Information – Learn about Maryland industry license requirements
- Comptroller of Maryland – Register your tax identification with the State of Maryland or file your state income tax
- eMaryland Marketplace – Visit the State of Maryland's procurement portal
- Governor’s Office of Minority Affairs – An advocate for business
- Labor Licensing and Regulation – Learn about the employers responsibility related to unemployment insurance, labor regulations and occupational/professional license registration.
- Maryland Judiciary – Learn what licenses need to be registered through the Clerk of the Circuit Court, such as a trader's license.
- American Recovery
- Internal Revenue Service
- United States Chamber of Commerce
- United States Small Business Administration
- Grant Opportunities
Revised May 5, 2015