Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What special taxes does Baltimore County impose?
A. Baltimore County imposes taxes on mobile homes, hotel/motel occupancy, telephone service, electricity usage, real property transfers, and for the "911" emergency call system.
Q. What are the rates charged for these special taxes?
A. Following are the rates charged:
- Mobile homes - seven percent of the gross rent paid, not to exceed $20 a month.
- Hotel/motel occupancy - eight percent of the room rate.
- Telephone service - eight percent of monthly charges on non-exempt properties.
- Electricity usage - $0.0053 per kWh of electricity delivered to non-residential, non-exempt retail customers. The rate is $0.00375 per kWh of electricity delivered to large manufacturing customers.
- Real property transfers - 1.5 percent of the purchase price (with an exclusion on the first $22,000 of residential transfers) and recordation taxes of $2.50 per $500 of value (or portion thereof).
- 911 Emergency Telephone Fee - 75 cents per month applied to the telephone bill.
Q. What additional exemptions are available for non-profit organizations?
A. There are exemptions available for electrical and telephone taxes. Contact the Office of Budget and Finance for an exemption form at 410-887-4100.
Q. What number can I call to get more information about miscellaneous taxes?
A. 410-887-2403 and press zero for a Customer Service Representative.
Revised June 19, 2012