Employment Benefits for Full Time, Merit or Classified Employees
Baltimore County General Government offers the following benefits to full time, merit or classified employees. Some benefits vary for sworn employees of the Police and Fire Departments. New employees are eligible for benefits upon hire, unless noted otherwise.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Baltimore County is an equal opportunity employer and encourages minority, female and disabled applicants.
Smoke Free Workplace
All Baltimore County offices are smoke free.
Drug Free Workplace
Baltimore County provides a drug free workplace. Prospective employees are required to submit to urinalysis drug testing as part of the pre-employment physical examination.
- Annual Salary review – Step increases may be granted on anniversary date based on satisfactory job performance
- General Increases – Cost of living increases and adjustments as legislated
- Longevity Increases – In accordance with the specific pay schedule, a full-time classified employee may receive a longevity increase, equivalent to one step, upon completion of a certain number of years of classified service with the County.
Employee Assistance Program
Baltimore County's Employee Assistance Program provides confidential and professional assessment and referral assistance for employees and eligible dependents in the household who are experiencing personal problems that may be affecting work performance, job satisfaction, or overall quality of life.
Health Insurance benefits elected become effective the first day of the month following the date of hire if employee has completed online enrollment prior to that date. New employees must enroll with 30 calendar days of hire.
Baltimore County presently provides health and life insurance benefits to over 6,600 employees and 4,800 retirees. The County's goal is to promote informed and cost-effective use of the benefit plans it sponsors.
- Medical insurance
- Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Employees may elect basic term life insurance for themselves equal to one time the employee's annual salary, rounded to the next higher $1,000. Employees contribute a portion through monthly payroll deductions. The County also offers an Additional/Employee paid Life Insurance plan with coverage up to $100,000.
- Civilian employees must join the Employment Retirement System (ERS) within 60 days of date of hire as a condition of employment.
- Employees are vested in 10 years.
- Employees cannot withdraw once enrolled.
- Employees must complete application or waiver upon hire. Benefits are based on a 35-year retirement for most.
- Newly hired employees at least 55 years of age may opt not to join the ERS. (Police, Fire, Deputy Sheriff's and Correctional Officers have different retirement benefits and contribution rates.)
Benefits for civilian employees are described below. Leave for sworn Police and Fire are different.
- Sick Leave – Earn 15 days per calendar year, at rate of one and one quarter days per month. No maximum on accrual.
- Vacation Leave – Initially earn one day per month, 12 days per year. Earning rate increases to 15 days at five years, 20 days at 10 years, and 25 days at 15 years.
- Personal Leave – Earn one-half day each month, total of six days per year, with no accrual
- Holidays – Generally 10 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Leave
- Military Leave
Baltimore County Employees Federal Credit Union
Membership in Baltimore County Employees Federal Credit Union offers a full range of savings programs, loans, checking, direct deposit, payroll deduction, savings bonds, and other financial services
Payroll through direct deposit to the financial institution selected by employee is required.
70 to 80 percent tuition reimbursement following successful completion of pre-approved courses related to position. Amount of reimbursement and fiscal year dollar limitations vary with bargaining group.
Nationwide Retirement Solutions offers a 457-retirement plan allowing for payroll contributions of tax deferred dollars to investment options of your choice.
Discounts for County Employees
Baltimore County employees are eligible for a number of discounted services. Many major cable, Internet and cell phone service providers offer discounts averaging 10 to 15 percent for County employees with qualifying services. In most cases, these discounts can be applied to the employee's existing home service—no additional contracts or commitments required.
This is only a summary of benefits and policies in Baltimore County. Any benefit or policy may be changed at any time at the discretion of the administration. This summary does not constitute an express or implied contract, nor does it constitute a guarantee that your employment relationship will continue for any specified period of time or end only under certain conditions.
Revised April 16, 2015