Silver Pen Writing Contest
The Silver Pen Creative Writing Contest is held to encourage and recognize writing among older adults. See the entries and read the winning essays and poems from the 2016 Silver Pen Writing Contest.
Learn more about how you can participate in the 2017 Silver Pen Writing Contest.
The following online resources are produced by the Baltimore County Department of Aging.
- Services to the Community—Provides an overview of services provided by the Department of Aging.
- Community Resources—A valuable, award-winning, accessible resource directory for older adults and their families that provides information on Department of Aging services and other county community services.
- The Last Chapter: A Simple Checklist For Those Dealing With The Loss Of A Loved One (PDF)—Dealing with loss is always difficult. The Department of Aging has developed a simple checklist to keep the process organized and make the next steps as easy as possible.
- Housing Options for Seniors in Baltimore County—Details various types of senior housing in the county, including facilities information for senior apartments, assisted living and retirement communities.
- The Caregiver Connection—A free newsletter for caregivers of older adults.
- What Should I Look for in Choosing a Nursing Home—A guide to what information you should take into account when choosing a nursing home.
- Nursing Homes in Baltimore County- Lists certified nursing homes in the county, including certification and facilities information.
- CountyRide Brochure (PDF)—Includes hours of operation and a description of the Department of Aging's door-to-door transportation service.
- Eating Together in Baltimore County (PDF)—Describes the Department of Aging's congregate meal program for older adults and their spouses.
The following publications are produced by the Baltimore County Department of Aging (unless otherwise noted) and are available by emailing email@example.com or calling 410-887-2594.
- Senior Digest—The Department of Aging's newspaper, filled with informative and entertaining articles essential to older adults, including updates on Medicare and Social Security, travel opportunities, and senior center events.
- Brain Matters—Maintain or improve brain health by reviewing lifestyle strategies and tools available for better brain health.
- Be Mobile Drive Safe: Keeping Older Adults on the Move—Promotes awareness of various methods to optimize travel safety.
- Family Caregiving: The Art of Caring for your Older Relative—Reviews resources, support and respite options to assist caregivers.
- This Card Could Save Your Life—Known as the Orange Refrigerator Card, this card has space to list all your medications and other medical information. Emergency medical personnel look for this card on refrigerators in time of emergency.
- Nursing Homes: What You Need to Know—A publication of the Maryland Attorney General's Office, intended for anyone looking at the possibility of needing nursing home care for themselves, family members or friends.