Home and Community Based Options Waiver
Formerly known as the Medicaid Waiver for Older Adults, the Home and Community Based Options Waiver is now run by the State of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH).
This waiver provides community services and supports to enable older adults and people with disabilities to live in their own homes. Maryland residents aged 18 and over who need assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, grooming, dressing, and getting around can apply.
If you currently live in a nursing facility, contact Medicaid's Long Term Care and Waiver Services by calling 410-767-1739 or 1-877-463-3464.
If you live in the community, a Service Registry has been developed for interested community individuals. To put your name on the registry, call 1-866-417-3480.
Eligibility is based on medical and financial criteria, to include:
- Individuals must require a nursing facility level of care based on a uniform medical assessment.
- An individual's income and assets are reviewed to determine financial eligibility for Medical Assistance.
- The monthly income of an individual may not exceed 300 percent of SSI benefits.
- The individual's countable assets may not exceed $2,000 or $2,500 depending on eligibility category.
- Only the income and assets of the individual and assets of any spouse are considered in determining financial eligibility.
Available Waiver services include:
- Assisted Living
- Medical Day Care
- Family Training
- Case Management
- Senior Center Plus
- Dietician and Nutritionist Services
- Behavioral Consultation
Waiver participants are also eligible to receive Medicaid services which may include:
- Personal Assistance Services
- Personal Emergency Response Systems
- Environmental Assessments
- Accessibility Adaptations
- Consumer Training
- Supports Planning
- Transitions Services
- Nurse Monitoring
- Home Delivered Meals
- Other medical services and equipment
This information was provided by DHMH Office of Health Services, Medical Care Programs, Community Integration Program.
Revised March 19, 2014